Friday, September 9, 2016

Roasted Okra


Being a Yankee,
okra was not on the menu growing up.
My farmer friends Faye & Lynn grow the stuff by the gallons
and got me to try hooked on pickled okra a couple of years ago.
I haven't looked back.
With an abundance of okra to harvest right now,
they gave me a bagful to do with as I chose.
One of the nice perks of volunteering at their farm
is that I sometimes come home with goodies!
Their generosity is boundless.



Faye & I picked this okra on Sunday and we showed you our method here.
Although Faye doesn't eat the stuff,
(more for the rest of us!)
she suggested I try roasting it.
I thought I'd give it a go,
as roasted root veggies are one of my wintertime favorites!
The okra was washed and the ends trimmed,
then olive oil, a pinch of sea salt 
and a sprinkling of steak seasoning was used to add just enough zing.
Into the oven at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes, and 


 voila!
The stuff was so scrumptious I could not believe it.
This bowlful was gone in a heartbeat.
When I talked to Faye, I told her 
I may never pickle again!


Some of the roasted pods were cut into bite-sized pieces
and added to our Wednesday night pasta.
Along with some homemade pesto and peas,
it really hit the spot.
It would be great with rice or quinoa,
to make it a gluten-free treat.

I can hardly wait for Farm School this weekend.
More okra to roast 
and the best company anyone could ask for.

Have you ever roasted okra before?


Our Simple Homestead Blog Hop


This Is How We Roll Feature


Gluten Free Fridays @vegetarianmamma.com Sharing glutenfree recipes for all


Homesteader-Hop-Banner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!